THE DIFFERENCE ENGINE is the ultimate in delay pedals. Handcrafted in the UK, by Laney’s own Black Country Customs team, deep in the depths of the Black Country. The Pedal combines 3 distinctly different, superbly crafted eras of delay into a compact box. Careful consideration has been taken to ensure the highest sonic quality that would rival any top end studio gear. The BCC-TDE is ideal for instruments and line level equipment, making it at home in any set up, whether on a pedal board, in a rack, or in the studio.
THREE INTO ONE Three eras of delay built in to one powerful machine. The Difference Engine emulates three classic eras of delay. Each preset is built from one of these eras.
ANALOGUE TAPE ERA Modelled around classic vintage tape echo units, such as the RE501 space echo, featuring all the warmth and analogue nuances of tape.
• Warm sounding analogue tone. • Delay times up to 1250ms. • Straight delay from a single tape head. • Or select multiple tape heads – for that classic overlaid delay effect. • Add tape artifacts with WOW & FLUTTER controls.
DIGITAL ERA The digital era – based on the crisp sounding digital delays of the 80’s, such as the KORG SDD3000 – with the modern benefits such as Tap Tempo, Freeze and BPM display.
• Up to 2500ms of crystal clean delay. • Multi Tap delay enables complex delay patterns. • Ability to freeze repeats using the freeze function. • Advanced routing options for stereo, wet/dry and mono options. • Modulation on repeats to add colour.
DYNAMIC DELAY ERA And thirdly the Dynamic Digital era – based on the huge sounding pumping delays of the 80s and 90s.
• Up to 2500ms of delay time • Settable boost and ducking ratio to dial in the severity of compression. • 0.1ms to 120ms attack times gives subtle to extreme ducking. • 15ms to 6secs of release time. • Threshold control allows fine control of ducking with dynamic inputs.
COMBINED POWER • Combine features from each era to create unique delays
FEATURES • 3 distinct and superb delay modes. • An ultra-sharp stunning 2.42” OLED screen. • Compact pedal board friendly format. • 100 user recallable and customisable presets. • Stereo In and Out via ¼” Jacks. • External expression pedal configurable control. • MIDI IN and OUT via 5 pin DIN for presets and parameter control.
• COLOUR o Sets the level of modulation present in the delay repeats. The type of modulation is controlled by the mode and the modulation settings of the preset. See the MODULATION section for more details.
• MIX o Turn to adjust the overall level of the delayed signal in the overall mix.
• TONE o Sets the overall tonality of the delayed signal. At 50% the tone has no effect, values above 50% will increase the level of brightness, below 50% will darken the tone of the repeats.
• REPEATS o Sets the number of repeats of the delayed signal. At minimum settings you’ll get a single repeat and at maximum you’ll get runaway feedback that goes into self-oscillation.
• DISPLAY SCREEN o The OLED display will show the current mode and preset details to you. Note: You can set the contrast and auto dim options in the SETTINGS MENU
• MENU o Press the MENU button to display the inbuilt menu on the Screen. Whilst the menus are displayed pressing the MENU button will enter the current selection.
• MODE o Press the MODE button to swap between PRESET and LIVE modes. When viewing the menu, MODE will act as an exit / back button. The two modes are described in detail in the o PRESET & LIVE MODE section.
WHATS IN THE BOX • BCC-TDE delay pedal • Black country customs presentation tin • BCC-TDE quick start guide • USB to MIDI adaptor